Friday, March 26, 2010

Please proceed with caution... may fry your brain with too much information. ;-)

Ok, so it's been another week and I'm just now getting around to posting again... oh well. :)

I had a great time with my family (when do I not?), and Friday night was able to go see Pride and Prejudice with them. :) Fine Linen did another fine job and it was definitely more interesting than I thought it was going to be. :) I have to say though, Mr. Collins and Mrs. Bennet made me laugh the most and seemed to steal the show. =) I'm very much looking forward to seeing Adalie and John perform Snoopy in April. :) I don't want to miss that. :)
Of course, I had to leave Saturday evening so it was a very short visit, but it was worth it. :)

Sunday, I worked... and did absolutely nothing... I think. Now I can't remember if we ran any calls or not! :) Terrible.. :)

Monday, I worked till noon and then went to The Pinnacles and hiked for about 3 hours. :) I had an awesome time even though I was by myself. I also took some books, found a high point, and then read for awhile. :) The rocks are the coolest thing! Their so huge and yet their really easy to crawl up...as long as you're not to afraid of heights. :) The little path that I followed was very tiny and had the rocks going up on one side and then a drop-off going to the water. :) Definitely gives you a thrill! :)

Tuesday, I worked a 16 on the ambulance and learned a ton! :) We went to the Lake on a transport and then had some "no patient contacts". For those of you who don't know, that just means we were either en route and got disregarded, or after on scene the patient refused care. I think we were on our way back from the Lake that I told my partner that we really hadn't had that bad of a day. :) My partner told me not to say that and now if we did get a really bad call he was going to take off my right hand and left foot (makes it difficult to get around). Yes, so most people in EMS are a little superstitious. :) If you say it's been a slow, boring, or not busy day, it sometimes ends up that you work a code or something bad. :) It was later afternoon that we got dispatched for a wreck and as we were pulling out of the garage we heard University get dispatched for a cardiac arrest in our call box, (0ur other truck was on a transport). So, instead, we jumped the cardiac arrest and had University take our car wreck. All the cardiac arrests I've been too they've all been dead by the time we've gotten on scene, so I was really hoping this one would be alive. We got on scene (fire was already there), and found them bagging (just means they were breathing for the patient) this guy. We got him attached to the moniter and then loaded into the back of the ambulance. After hooking the patient up to more leads, I took over the airway. I got to see my partner get an IO (it's like an IV except they use a drill gun and drill into the bone, and it's done below the knee) started, and then he was getting medical direction to knock the guy out so we could maintain his airway better, since he had a gag reflex and we were having trouble breathing for him with the bag. His O2 sats were very low and his heart rate kept dropping and we finally started CPR. At that time, my partner went ahead and intubated the guy since he was out enough that he didn't have a gag reflex. We had fire drive us and we ran hot (lights and sirens) the entire way to the hospital. Once we got to the hospital, I think he started to improve some...but I have no idea if he made it through the night. It was definitely the best call ever! And I know that sounds really terrible to some of you and I don't wish that people would go into cardiac arrest just so we can save them... but if it's going to happen it might as well happen when I'm working. :) I'm not sure exactly how long we were out of service for that call, but I'm sure it was a couple hours. And we totally trashed our truck so it took us awhile to clean it up. :) It's a call that definitely gets your adrenaline up, and it's a good feeling to know you helped save someone's life. :)

Then Wednesday and Thursday were rather boring days where I worked in the office and ambulance. :) And I'm working in the office again today... and it's been a rather slow day. But I got to sleep in till 7:45!!! Mind you I didn't go to bed till after midnight, but it was still a good feeling. :) I almost got to sleep in yesterday, but woke up an hour before I needed to thinking I was supposed to be up. Apparently, in the mornings my brain doesn't work right and I forgot there's an 8 between 7 and 9. :) It actually wasn't so bad and I got some reading done. :)

I work a night shift tomorrow and then into a day shift on Sunday. :) So, I get to do a reverse 16... how exciting! ;)

Well, I'm doing my long run today since it's supposed to rain tomorrow.... and I'm hoping I can make it the 8 miles. I got my new shoes on Wednesday and ran 4 or 5 miles without really any pain. :) A marked improvement from last week where I didn't even make it 3 miles before having bad pain. I did wrap both of my legs and that might've been part of it. :) I think I smiled the whole time I ran just because it felt so good to run without hurting and then it was a gorgeous day. :)

Wow! I think I seriously just wrote the longest epistle ever! Sorry for those of you who don't like to read, but Kayla is always telling me I need to write more so it's mostly for her. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment