Monday, March 1, 2010

Days wasted....

"Every day is a little life, and our whole life is but a day repeated. Those, therefore, that dare lose a day are dangerously prodigal, those that dare to misspend a day desperate. All days are His who gave time a beginning and continuance; yet some He has made ours, not to command but to use. In none may we forget Him..."

I was reading my devotional this evening and when I read this I immediately thought of someone that I work with. While working together one day, we got on the subject of drinking. Dangerous subject. ;-) Btw, by saying "drinking" I mean those who drink alcohol... didn't want to confuse people if they thought I was talking about water. :) Now, I don't think drinking is a sin but getting drunk is. This person said that a couple times a year he just feels like getting as drunk as he can. "Wow, that is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of!" Ok, so I didn't really say that but, come on... What is the point to getting as drunk as you can? He said that everyone loosens up and has fun (most people I've talked to say the same thing). I can have a ton of fun and never drink an ounce of alcohol. But I suppose that's because I have a greater joy and it's in something that will last a lifetime and I won't be terribly sick over it the next day. :-) The above quote reminded me of him just because of how we shouldn't waste our days. Each day is a gift and we should cherish it. Our joy in Christ should be so great that we would desire nothing else but Him.
We did talk about other things and it wasn't just all about drinking. :) Now that I look back and remember the conversation, I realize how sad and dark his life must be and yet he doesn't realize it and he has no desire for anything more than what he has already. We can minister and witness to people, but only God can change their hearts so that they have a desire to know more.

Well, those were my thoughts for the evening and now I should head to bed since it's almost 11 and I had planned on getting to bed early. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment