Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sleep would be sweet....

So tired right now... I just finished with a 46 hour shift. Way too long if you ask me. While working Sunday evening I got a call asking if I would cover the open shift the next day. I told them I would as long as I could go home first and take a shower. They agreed and I was very impressed that I was able to get home, shower, pack food, and grab anything else I might need for the 24+ hours, and leave the house in less than an hour. Oh, and I even had time to straighten my hair so I wasn't a frizz ball/curly head. ;) Not bad, right? I'm sure some of you can do better but I was happy I could get that much done in a little amount of time. :)
I didn't have a brilliant night and got about 3 hours of combined sleep. Ugh, have I said how much I hate that about my job? We were busy all evening and I finally went to bed a little before midnight. Our first call at 2 I never remember hearing the tones go off. I remember suddenly being awake and already getting one boot on. I didn't even really know why I was doing it until my pager went off a minute later and I realized after looking at the address that we had gotten a call. I must've been sleeping hard because I always hear the tones go off. We got back around 3 and I laid back down... About 5 minutes later we got toned for a rollover accident. Ended up not being a rollover accident, but the guy had hit a tree and it had flung him back on the road... Yeah, I at first had a hard time understanding that when I heard he hit a tree, since he was in the middle of the road. The patient was conscious the whole time and talked to us almost non-stop. He had an obvious femur fracture and it was no easy matter getting him moved to the backboard. He had a high pain tolerance, I can tell you that much. So, by the time we had finished with the call and cleaned our truck it was after 5. Slept for an hour and was back up for shift change.
Really, one of the only reason I'm writing this post is I'm trying to keep from falling asleep. I know if I start to read a book I'll be out in a few minutes. I need to make it to at least 9 and then I'll give in. :) And then I'll be up in the morning to do it all over again. Well, not 46 hours, thankfully. Just 24.
Amazing thing about this week? I'll have 30 hours of overtime and still have Thursday to Saturday off. =) Now that is what I call awesome!

Hope everyone else is having a wonderful week so far! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment