Sunday, February 27, 2011

A crazy Saturday.... :)

1.5 more hours left to my shift and I'm done for a couple days! :) Today has been incredibly slow. One call at 2:30 and another just a little bit ago and that's been it so far. Not that I like being so busy you don't have time for anything, but it does get old after awhile just sitting here. Yesterday the calls were pretty steady. I thought we were going to run on crazy people all day cause that's what it seemed like. In the morning we had a guy who drank probably a half of gallon of vodka and he then decides to call us. We get him moved to the cot with some difficulty as he is not a small guy at all. We had trouble getting him to stay upright on the cot as he kept wanting to lean. I worried for a little bit that the cot was going to tip but thankfully, it never did. All seemed to be going well. We got to the hospital and I came around back to help take the pt off the monitor. He kinda flipped out then... He swung his arms at me and then tried hitting my partner. He ended up taking himself off the monitor and going after my partner. We finally got him in the ER and the officers arrived soon after. He was drunk enough that I don't think he could ever do much damage, but he went after my partner ready to fight. A good reason to never get that drunk... you can't control your actions.
One of our other pt's that day thought he was zombie. He asked us if he had come back from the dead. We assured him he hadn't. I couldn't help but smile though. ;)
We were transporting this elderly man back to the nursing home and he asked me if we were going to take the train. I told him that we were close enough that we didn't need to take a train. As we were about to pull him out of the truck he asked me if we were at the rock concert. Nope, not at all... :) Talk about an interesting shift. lol
Our one legit call was a young girl in SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) with a rate of 220. That's incredibly fast...for those who didn't know. I have never seen a heart rate that fast on the monitor....neither had my partner for that matter. lol, the firefighter on scene was telling me the vitals and said that it was going so fast he couldn't count it. I believe that! It's hard to count a heart rate going 160's. For those curious, she ended up converting it herself back down to around 120-130's.
So, that's what my shift yesterday consisted of. :) I'm so excited that I'm off work for a couple days though!

Well, my darling sister just got online and so I'm going to go and chat with her. She never gets online so I'm pretty excited. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment