Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The first snow...

Today did not go how I wanted it to or how I thought it should go. No matter how hard I try to leave things in God's hands and pray that His will would be done, I'm always disappointed and upset when "my" plans are changed. So little faith.... My mom and siblings were planning on coming up this morning to spend the day. Mom needed to get shopping done and the kids and I were going to have some crazy fun together. I was so excited when the plans were made for them to come that I really could hardly contain myself! I had decided to make lunch for them all and so went to the store yesterday and bought everything I would need to make this day special. I worked yesterday evening and night and so when I went to bed around two everything was still a go. Tones went off at 5 and I walked out to the garage, only to open the doors and realize that God had decided a little surprise and sprinkled Columbia with snow. Ok, it was a surprise for me since I hardly ever watch weather channel and didn't know there was even the remotest chance of snow. I was thinking (and hoping) that by 9 or 10 the snow would be gone. It wasn't really that much snow, just enough to cover all the roads and make driving a slow process. The roads weren't really that slick but it was because we were the first ones to drive on most of them. By 6, the roads were worse (due to people driving them). We ran two car wrecks back to back and finally made it back to base for shift change. We got toned out less than five minutes of being there for another wreck. We ended up making it on scene only to be disregarded as patient was refusing care. About 3 minutes from the base, we got toned again. Time was 0658.  The call was for a wreck way north of Columbia. It took us 25 minutes before arriving on scene due to road conditions. It didn't take long before we had the patient in the back of the truck and headed back toward Columbia. We were transporting at 0738 and arrived at the hospital 90 minutes later. We sat in traffic for the majority of that time due to a wreck. I seriously thought we would never get to the hospital. My mom and siblings had left the house already but due to the roads mom was unsure if they should keep coming. As much as I wanted to see them, I knew I would worry about them the entire time if they tried to come. I didn't know how the roads were for the rest of S63 and so told them that they probably shouldn't try to make it. With all the wrecks in Columbia, I'm sure the other areas were just as bad. Our trucks had 17 calls for accidents between 6 and a little after 10. That doesn't include all the wrecks that University's trucks had either.
Even though this day didn't go how I wanted it to, I'm so incredibly thankful that my family is home safe and sound. I don't understand why the snow couldn't have come tomorrow or a day before, God knows though, and He had a plan the whole time. His will is always done and I can never (nor should I want to) change that.

No comments:

Post a Comment