Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My life so far....which means, just in the last week. ;)

I suppose I'm not a consistent person... obviously, since I can never post regularly. ;) I have been doing a lot lately. Mostly work and going home, but I find it extremely difficult to post while at home. It takes time away that I could be spending with my family. Oh, and the base I've been working at the last few weeks doesn't have wireless internet, so unfortunately I've been unable to use my laptop.

The most exciting news is that Nate and I are leaving for Florida on Thursday. Woohoo! I'm excited! :) So, I'll try to post either during or after the trip and maybe even get some pictures up. Which would be really cool since I never do that. ;) Not sure all that we'll be doing, but I guarantee it's going to be a blast. We're planning to leave Thursday around 4 in the morning. Haha, we're gonna be so bright and cheerful! ;) I told Nate I would take the first part of the driving so he can sleep some.  I might talk too much though, and he won't be able to. ;) Just kidding, Nate! I won't do that to you. :)

Oh! Another exciting piece of news is that I'm moving out of Elisabeth and Patrick's house (right after I get home from our trip) and will be moving in with 3 other girls. =) I've only met two of the girls, but from what I know of them already it's going to  I do know that two of the girls are going to be RN's and the other one is going to be an occupational therapist.  So, we're all in the medical field, which is really cool. AND, three of us have interests in missions. I'm totally excited about moving in with these girls. I think we'll have some really great times. =)

Work has been going well. I've been trying to pick up as much overtime as possible and so August is going to be a really busy month. The week after I get home from Florida, I'll be working 80 hours. The paycheck is always nice, but I'm sure I'll feel like I've gone crazy that week. I'll make it through and hopefully still have a smile on my face. :) Might be a sleepy smile... ;)

Today, I'm on a 24 and very much looking forward to tomorrow when I get off. To be honest, we've run nothing but stupid calls all day. I really don't understand some of these people who call 911 when there's nothing we can do for them. Take this for instance (btw, this wasn't our call but I heard Joint dispatch it). You have a child choking and you're probably 5 minutes from the hospital. The child is conscious and breathing, but is complaining that something feels stuck in his throat. Instead of grabbing the child and driving him to the hospital. You decide to call 911. Dispatch gets all the information (lets say that takes a minute or two), then they dispatch the ambulance who's another minute or two getting to their truck and responding. By the time they arrive, it's probably been around 8-10 minutes. So, why exactly would you wait for us when you could be to the hospital way sooner than we could? Your child would probably love you a whole lot better too. ;)
So, my partner and I had a good laugh about this. We had brought a patient back to a hospital and the tech was going to help us move the patient from our cot to the bed. This was a larger patient and so my partner asked the tech if she would get us another hand. (Meaning, find another person to help). Tech says okay and starts looking around the room as if she were going to find an actual "hand" somewhere. My partner realized that she obviously didn't understand and so told her to find another "person" to help us. The tech understood this a lot better and went to find a real person to help. :) You may not think it funny, but my partner and I cracked up about it all the way back to the base. :)

Well, I'm going to run away now and take a nap...if possible. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment